Friday, September 30, 2005

San Diego Asian Film Festival--Day 1

It's the little things that make film festivals fun and exciting. Over the past few years, I have wished that the program guide be easy to navigate. I have been thinking that things could be a little different. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the format had gone in the direction I have always desired. There was an easy to read schedule that gave an overview of the festival--on a day-to-day basis. Not only that, but the presentations were listed in alphabetical order regardless of category! No more flipping around. The graphic and production quality of all the publications was great. Likewise, the graphics and videos used for promotional purposes was of the highest caliber (though that has always been the case). The music, created by David Helpling, has been of a consistently high standard for the past few years. Lest you think that I am only going to be writing positive things only, let me assure you that I intend to be an objective observer of the scene... But first, one more Hurrah! I am also glad that SDAFF is still in the same venue--just a different name... Hazard Center, associated with Madstone and Mann Theatres, is now UltraStar Mission Valley Cinemas. My main reason for joy is that parking is not a hassle in this location. SDAFF seems to be doing well. This time around (the 6th annual), the festival runs for more than a week! I had a tough choice deciding between Marathon, Urban Legends, and Beijing or Bust. But ultimately, the decision turned out to be easier than I thought. I was tired of the "triumph of the spirit" kind of films. I was looking for something to challenge my ideas. I decided on Beijing or Bust. One of the main reasons for picking this documentary over the feature film and the shorts was the issue of identity. Mukul Khurana

No comments: